What is the Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship?
With the goals of further strengthening the fundamentals of international research into Japan and deepening international understanding of Japan through researchers’ activities, the Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship invites leading international researchers of the Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature and Japanese culture to Japan to conduct residential research.
Japanese language and Japanese language education research Japanese literature and Japanese culture research
International researchers working in the fields of Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature or Japanese culture. University professors, associate professors and assistant professors who have outstanding and research results that have future potential, and other persons with equivalent research backgrounds, are eligible to apply.
Have sufficient Japanese language proficiency to be able to conduct research and interact in Japanese Be non-Japanese nationals residing outside of Japan
(Researchers with Japanese nationality who have resided outside Japan for 10 years or more and are active in the academic community, etc., of their current country of residence will also be considered) Be able to stay in Japan continuously for the duration of the Fellowship period
Those who have previously received support from another institution for residential research in Japan may also apply.
Airfares, living and research expenses, housing subsidy and other expenses necessary for conducting research in Japan Long-term (12-month) and short-term (6-month) fellowships are available Around 10–15 fellows will be invited each year
Invited fellows will conduct their research with the cooperation of one of the following receiving organizations: International Research Center for Japanese Studies Kyoto University National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics Ochanomizu University Ritsumeikan University Tokyo University of Foreign Studies Waseda University
Judging panelMasahiro Ijima
Masaru Inoue (Chair)
Professor, The University of Tokyo
Professor, Reitaku University
Professor, Sophia University
Professor, Nihon University
Professor, Hosei University
- Obtain Application Guide, Application Form and Letter of Recommendation. (Downloadable below)
- Fill in the Application Form
- Have the person recommending you for this Program fill in the Letter of Recommendation
- Prepare Japanese translation of the Letter of Recommendation (if written in a language other than Japanese)
- Send the above documents to the designated address by mail
* Refer to the Application Guide for full details
* Documents for the 10th Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship (2015)
* Registration deadline: Must arrive by Oct 31, 2014 (Only mailed applications will be considered)
[th]Document name[/th][th] [/th][th] [/th]
|Application Guide||(2.9MB)|| |
|Letter of Recommendation||(330KB)||(67KB)|