QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute is a world leading translational research institute focused on cancer, infectious diseases, mental health and a range of complex diseases.
Our students are provided with state of the art facilities, world class supervision, mentoring, professional development training, additional financial support (competitively awarded stipend top ups, travel awards), and a network of peers via our Student Society.There are many exciting new postgraduate research projects on offer.
Please go to our Students Projects webpage.
For information on applying for a PhD - PhD admissions to QIMR Berghofer.
What is the scholarship?
QIMR Berghofer is offering a limited number of International PhD Scholarships for top international PhD applicants. This scholarship will provide the following:
- A living allowance of approximately AU$25,000 per year for a period of three years, with the possibility of extension for six months.
- Cover the costs of overseas health cover for a single person for this period.
- QIMR Berghofer will support your application for a tuition fee scholarship from their chosen university.
The QIMR Berghofer International PhD Scholarships are highly competitive and the academic standards listed below are the minimum requirements. Successful applicants are likely to have additional research experience, publications and have presented their work at one or more national or international conferences.
You must be able to take up this scholarship by 1 July 2015.
How to apply
Ensure you qualify for a PhD at QIMR Berghofer.
Check the student projects and confirm that you meet any requirements for the project. Step 3
Complete an expression of interest form (EOI). Fill out one EOI per project.
Email your EOIs to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with:
- Your academic transcript for both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees;
- Two referee letters; and
- IELTS/TOEFL results or the date of a booked test. The latest date to provide evidence of English language proficiency is 7 October 2014.
Wait for a response to your EOI.
Closing date for submitting a complete EOI is midnight AEST on 21 September 2014.
The QIMR Berghofer Higher Degrees Committee will review your application and will award a limited number of International PhD Scholarships.
As a guide, your application is likely to take approximately four weeks to process after you have submitted it.
If you are successful
- You will receive a formal written offer of scholarship via email.
- Submit a full admission application to QIMR Berghofer (by invitation only).
- Immediately submit an admission application to your chosen university (if you haven’t done so already).
Can I get my PhD with QIMR Berghofer?
To complete your PhD at QIMR Berghofer, you need:
If English is not your first language, you will also need to demonstrate proficiency in English. Minimum requirements are e.g. an overall IELTS (International English Language Testing Service, score of ≥6.5 and score ≥6.0 in every sub-band.
- Academic qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree with Honours Class I (typically involving a substantial research project) or a Research Master's degree or equivalent; OR
- A coursework Master's degree with a research component of at least 25% of an academic year and an overall grade point average equivalent to ≥5.5 on a 7-point