- Current international research students
- Future international research students
- Current domestic research students
- Future domestic research students
- Creative Industries
- Science and Engineering
- Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation (IHBI)
- Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety Queensland (CARRS-Q)
- Institute for Future Environments
Open date: 1 September 2014
Closing date: 30 September 2014
- have Honours First Class (or equivalent)
- be completing your PhD or professional doctorate
- be ranked in the top 20 APA recipients in the annual scholarship round (excluding Vice-Chancellor's top-up recipients).
This scholarship is available for domestic and international students.
You can't apply for top-up scholarships if you currently hold:
- Australian Postgraduate Award (APA)
- QUT Postgraduate Research Award (QUTPRA)
- QUT Masters Scholarship (QMS)
- QUT Strategic Masters (QSM)
- Owen J Wordsworth (OJW)
- Indigenous Postgraduate Research Award (IPRA)
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS)
- Research Capacity Building Award (RCBA)
- any scholarships sponsored by your home country or an external organisation.
If you're not eligible for scholarships in the annual scholarship round, you may still be able to apply for scholarships offered by your faculty or institute, or externally funded scholarships.
What you receive
- a top-up scholarship to the value of $6,000 per annum to supplement your initial living allowance, payable for up to 3 years for doctoral students.
There is a limit on the combined amount you can receive from all income sources.
How to apply
Future students apply for admission to QUT during the Annual Scholarship Round. Indicate on your application for admission that you wish to be considered for a scholarship.
The annual scholarship round closes in October each year.
Apply for a research degree
Current research students apply during the Annual Scholarship Round via QUT Virtual.
What happens next
We'll evaluate applications and award the top-up scholarship in December. We'll notify you if your application was successful.
We fund many living allowance scholarships for research students, and we regulate how much you can receive as a living allowance scholarship.
There are also rules about how much you can earn to supplement your scholarship income, and from which sources.
Top-up scholarships are awarded to exceptional candidates to supplement an initial living allowance scholarship.