The National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) offers Monbukagakusho (MEXT) scholarships for Master's students in the field of policy studies in Japan . Total 20 scholarships are offered. Scholarships are open to foreign students (be nationals of countries with which Japan has diplomatic relations). Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree and must submit evidence of sufficient English language proficiency (TOEFL 550 or higher). Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): | Tokyo, Japan
Level: Master’s Degree Program
Field(s): Policy studies with a specialization in one of the following four concentration areas: economic policy, public policy, international relations, or international development studies
Deadline: Your application and all supporting documents must reach GRIPS by the designated deadlines. Deadlines differ by program and by fundng source so please check which deadline is applicable to you. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Funded By: Scholarships are provided by the Japanese government and are allocated through GRIPS
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015-2016 Masters Scholarships for Foreign Students is targeted for foreign students.
‣ Award No: Around 20 masters scholarships will be offered.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarships will be offered for one or two years.
‣ Scholarship covers: A monthly stipend of around JPY 150,000 covers living expenses such as food, clothing, and other daily necessaries, as well as insurance and other miscellaneous expenses related to your study at GRIPS. The stipend does not cover family members.
-Application, admission, and tuition fees.
-Round-trip economy-class air ticket between your home country and Japan.
‣ Recipients of the scholarship can enrol in the Public Policy Program, either the one-year program (MP1) or the two-year program (MP2).
‣ The one-year master’s program (MP1) equips mid-career managers and leaders with the fundamental skills and knowledge needed to be effective managers in the public sector. Students develop familiarity with all phases of the policy cycle.
‣ They are required to write a policy report in one of the approved concentration areas. The two-year master’s program (MP2) provides pre- and early-career professionals and staff members with the technical skills needed to be professional policy analysts.
‣ The program provides a strong platform for advanced research (including doctoral studies).
To be eligible for 2015-2016 Masters Scholarships for Foreign Students,
‣ The target groups of GRIPS programs are mid-career public officials with strong leadership and managerial potential, or individuals with strong academic capabilities and the desire to be professional policy analysts or pursue an academic career.
‣ Applicants must be under 35 years of age as of April 1, 2015 and be nationals of countries with which Japan has diplomatic relations.
‣ They must hold a bachelors degree and must submit evidence of sufficient English language proficiency (TOEFL 550 or higher). People currently residing in Japan are not eligible.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Application must be submitted online throughout the GRIPS website.
‣ Application deadline: Your application and all supporting documents must reach GRIPS by the designated deadlines. Deadlines differ by program and by fundng source so please check which deadline is applicable to you. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
For more Information about 2015-2016 Masters Scholarships for Foreign Students