The Esther Ottley Fellowship is a one-year, non-renewable award offered to a female doctoral student exemplar demonstrating the qualities of leadership exhibited by former Dean of Howard’s Graduate School, Esther Ottley. Dr. Ottley is the only woman to serve as interim Dean from 1986 – 1988. The Ottley fellowship is merit-based and offered on a competitive basis upon recommendation by the Executive Staff of the Graduate School. Domestic and International students are eligible for this fellowship. Candidates must be advanced to Ph.D. candidacy and enrolled as full-time degree-seeking students. The minimum GPA requirement is 3.5.TERMS
Full tuition (not including fees) and a stipend of $20,000 for the 2015-2016 academic year. The Esther Ottley fellow is required to participate in a 15-hour per week rotated internship under the supervision of the Dean of the Graduate School beginning in mid-August and ending in mid-May for each academic year.APPLICATION DEADLINEFriday, March 13, 2015APPLICATION
Applicants should submit a total of SIX (6) completed packages: ONE (1) original complete package and FIVE (5) copies of the completed package.
DO NOT INCLUDE MATERIALS THAT ARE NOT LISTED HERE, THEY WILL BE DISCARDED.
- 1 Esther Ottley Fellowship Application Form ([url=http://www.gs.howard.edu/financial/pdf/Esther Ottley Application Form.pdf]Download Form) [/url] AND 5 copies
- 1 Official transcript from Howard University AND 5 copies
- 1 Approved Candidacy Form AND 5 copies
- 1 Dissertation prospectus (5 pages) AND 5 copies
- 1 Statement of the candidate’s interest in educational leadership
- 3 letters of recommendation:
- 1 from a public service and/or humanitarian experience AND 5 copies
- 2 from faculty members at Howard attesting to the academic achievement and leadership qualities of the candidate AND 5 copies
In addition to the application package, top candidates will be asked to participate in an interview. Interviews may take place in person or via teleconference. Applications will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Advisory Committee and recommended to the Dean for approval. Upon the Dean's approval, applicants will be notified.PLEASE KEEP IN MIND, IF APPLICATIONS ARE INCOMPLETE FOR ANY REASON (i.e., not completely filled out, insufficient number of copies submitted, missing any required documents, etc.) THEY WILL NOT BE REVIEWED BY THE FINANCIAL AID ADVISORY COMMITTEE. Applicants will NOT be notified in this event.NOTE
If you have questions pertaining to the application, we encourage you to call the Office of Graduate Student Affairs at 202-806-4676.SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO:
The Esther Ottley Graduate Assistantship Review Committee
c/o Office of Graduate Student Affairs
Howard University Graduate School
Annex III Building, Room 200
4th & College Streets, N.W.
Washington, DC 20059