Application deadline is 24:00 CET on Thursday 15 January 2015.
Countries The Visby Programme is targeted at candidates from the following countries: Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland, Russia, and Ukraine. The objective is to strengthen cooperation and network building between those countries and Sweden in the fields of higher education and research.
Target groupsThe programme provides PhD students and postdoctoral researchers with an opportunity to conduct research at Swedish universities within all fields of study. Candidates belonging to any of the following categories may apply:
• PhD studies – two different models of applying. The first model consists of PhD students/candidates applying for one long-term visit (either 6, 9 or 12 months) as part of their PhD studies. The second model consists of candidates applying for a scholarship according to the sandwich model (several shorter visits). The scholarship period for candidates on a sandwich set-up is a maximum 12 months over three years, divided into a maximum of two research visits per year.
• Postdoctoral research – individuals applying for a postdoctoral research long-term visit (6, 9 or 12 months) must be holders of a PhD degree, preferably from 2010 or later.
• Senior scientists – holders of a PhD degree but who do not fit into the category of postdoctoral researchers, above, invited to Sweden for research (6 months maximum).
Who is eligible?The scholarships are intended for PhD students, postdoctoral researchers belonging to any of the above-mentioned target groups for full-time PhD studies/research in Sweden. A scholarship cannot be granted for an applicant who:
• has already lived in Sweden for two or more years when the scholarship period is due to begin;
• has already got a Swedish permanent residence permit;
• has a Swedish work permit and is not an EU citizen;
• is applying for a scholarship at PhD level but is not enrolled in ongoing PhD studies at your home university; or
• is applying for a scholarship at postdoctoral level, but does not hold any PhD degree.
Selection criteria and areas of priorityApplications are evaluated by the Swedish Institute (SI) and an academic board. The primary evaluation of the application takes into account the applicant’s academic background and personal motivation, research quality and expertise in the project field of the host department. Also the strength of the research proposal with regards to its scientific quality, originality, methodological approach, and relevance is evaluated. In the final selection of candidates SI will consider the distribution of scholarships with regards to academic fields, universities, purpose of study, nationality and gender.
Research fields within all academic disciplines are eligible.
The personal motivation of the applicant should include a statement of how the research proposal will correspond to needs emphasized in existing frameworks for collaboration in the Baltic Sea Region (e.g. the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, and the EU Eastern Partnership).
Scholarship benefitsThe scholarship is free of tax and amounts to SEK 15,000 per month for PhD students and SEK 18,000 per month for postdoctoral researchers. The scholarship cannot be prolonged or extended.
Scholarship holders are insured by the Swedish State Group Insurance against illness and accident during the scholarship period.
SI Network for Future Global Leaders
All Swedish Institute scholarship holders are invited to become members of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders, a network that offers unique opportunities during and after the stay in Sweden. Together with other talented people from all around the world, the scholarship holder is able to take part in a variety of events, exchange ideas and create networks that benefit both to career and personal development.
Scholarship limitations• The scholarship is designed to cover living costs for the scholarship holder. There are no grants for family members. No funding for bench fees is provided.
• The granted scholarship period cannot be altered or extended; however it is possible to apply for subsequent funding through a new call for applications.
• PhD students on a sandwich setup are allowed up to two visits per scholarship year.
• In case of a postponed arrival date, the scholarship period can be decreased accordingly.
• There is no travel grant included in scholarship offer.
Application deadlineThe scholarship application call for the academic year 2015/2016 is now open. The application period is Friday 31 October 2014 – Thursday 15 January 2015.
How to applyPlease read the instructions below carefully before entering the online application form.