The Computer Science Department at ETH offers a new, exciting program that allows undergraduate and graduate students to obtain research experience in our department during the summer months. Applications for the programme are open to students across the globe. The program is committed to increasing diversity in the computer science area.
NEXT application period
Beginning of November 2017 - 31 December 2017 at 12 noon (Central European Time)
The program will take place from 1 July to 31 August 2018.
List of research areas
Research opportunities are available in the following areas:
Algorithms and theory
Human-computer-interaction and cyberphysical systems
Information and system security
Information and system security
Programming languages and software engineering
The program is supported by the rectorate and the Huber-Kudlich Foundation.
city of zurich
The main part of the Student Summer Research Fellowship program at ETH Zurich is devoted to doing research in one of the available areas.
Time frame: 1 July - 31 August 2018. Please note that the duration of the fellowship covers the full two months of July and August.
Research experience. Fellows will pursue a research project that aligns with a chosen area of their interest as part of a research group in our department. This includes interacting and collaborating with group members and possibly beyond.
Networking and socializing. A number of on-site socializing events will help fellows to get to know people outside their respective research groups, including current ETH students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Accommodation. Once a candidate is accepted into the program, we will provide information regarding visa applications (where required) as well as assistance with finding affordable accommodation during the summer research stay.
Financial support. Fellows at ETH Zurich will receive a monthly stipend of about CHF1.750 to cover housing and living expenses. Travel and visa expenses will be covered. Students can claim the travel costs against receipts at the beginning of the program.
Switzerland. Fellows have the opportunity to explore the vibrant culture of Zurich in the summer as well as the beautiful mountainous landscape of Switzerland in their free time.
How to Apply: Apply online
- Please read the information on this page carefully and prepare all required documents before submitting your application online.
- First, you need to register with SiROP (press CTRL+click to open in a new window)
- To register search for your home university in the list provided or create an account using an email address.
- After completing your SiROP registration, click the online application link below where you will find the «Apply now» button at the bottom of the linked SiROP page.
After clicking the «Apply now» button on the linked SiROP page you will be asked to fill in personal data and upload several documents:
- Your CV. You may use any CV format you wish. If you feel uncertain, please feel free to use the Europass format.
- Official academic transcript from your home university.
- Letter of motivation/personal statement (max 1 page). Describe in your own words why you have chosen your proposed scientific area of research. Explain what you hope to accomplish by coming to ETH and how it will support your academic or professional goals and prepare you for a career in research. A good personal statement can be written in half a page and you should aim not to write more than a full A4 page. Lay it out carefully to make it easy to read.
- A letter of recommendation by an academic referee. The referee can sign the recommendation, scan the letter and mail it directly to: SSR_Fellowship-at-inf.ethz.ch. Note that the reference letter needs to be sent by the referee to the e-mail address, not by the applicant himself/herself. Please indicate in the subject line “reference letter for first name and surname of student”. The deadline for reference letters is 15 February 2018 (12:00 p.m.).
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is December 31, 2017.
Only complete applications with all the required documents can be considered for admission.